ELL Bible Beginner
One of my most challenging and yet most rewarding classes
has been teaching the Bible to a group of middle school students. This class is made up of six students
representing all types of nationalities and religions. There is a Muslim from the Middle East,
a Buddhist from South East Asia, two Christians from Nigeria and South East
Asia, and a Catholic from Austria.
I am still unsure about the last student but he doesn’t speak English very well... yet.
Since our school is a Christian school, we have the freedom
to teach the bible from a Christian perspective. It is quite fascinating to be able to teach these students
the truth of the Gospel when they have grown up so differently. The majority of my students have never
even opened a bible before!
Since it is an ELL class, their English is extremely
limited. The first half of the
month was spent defining key vocabulary words about God. We are now diving into
creation, the Trinity and the Spirits.
Some of these concepts are challenging for me to wrap my mind around let
alone a group of non-Christian, English limited middle school students. Nevertheless, those obstacles can’t
stand in the way of our God. I
have been quite amazed at how the Lord has been working in the hearts of all
these students and allowing them to understand the mystery of Christ. Their questions are well thought out
and are a challenge to me. I’d
thought I’d share a few of them with you below.
1.
Ms. Johnson, does God love Buddhists?
2.
When we get sick, does that mean an Angel lost a
battle against a demon and is no longer protecting us?
3.
Is Hell in the center of the world?
4.
Why did God let Lucifer rebel against Him?
5.
Why didn’t God just destroy Lucifer when he
rebelled?
6.
Why does God give us choices when we could just
be in heaven with Him?
7.
If I google the face of God and see it, will I
die? (after explaining how if we saw the face of God in all his glory, we
would die)

No comments:
Post a Comment