When I first moved to Vienna one of my co-workers, who is now a near and dear friend, asked if I would like to partner with her in being the freshman class advisor. I said, "sure, why not." It'd be a good way to get to know some of the students. I remember meeting most of the students who were 14 and 15 years old at the time. They were freshman and we all know what freshman year looks like: awkward, weird, kind of cute, somewhat lost, and funny. We quickly formed a special bond that last throughout their high school years. Now this class is graduating and they asked me to speak at their Senior chapel this past Thursday. I decided to write a letter to them after being their advisor for four years.
 |
| Freshman at the Junior Formal |
Dear Senior Class,
Writing a letter to your class is not an easy thing to do.
Knowing that I would need to say goodbye has been weighing heavy on my heart
since last years Senior class graduated. I knew this year would go by fast and
I knew that we would have a lot of “lasts”. The last planned event, the last
sports game, the last praise night, the last mission trip, the last Spanish
class, and finally our last trip to Croatia. I was not looking forward to these
moments. However, they came. The best adjectives I can use to describe them are
bittersweet, beautiful disaster or any other oxymoron that communicates both
pain and joy. You might not all realize this but this class holds a very
special in my heart. I know that most teachers and students are supposed to
maintain a distant relationship and not get “too close”, but we all know that
ICSV doesn’t exactly follow those rules. In the past four years I have spent
more time with most of you than my co-workers, friends, and family. When I first
started working at ICSV, it was your freshman year. You were among some of the
first people that I ever met in Vienna.
I remember awkwardly shaking Maika’s hand at Freshman orientation. I
remember Elin, Sophia, and Jessie Richards sitting in the back of my Spanish
class all smiles and trying to speak Spanish. I also remember them chanting
“o,as,a,amos,ais,an” in the hallways which made me smile. I remember Steffi R.
and Celeste asking me where I was from and what brought me to Vienna. I
remember Sam, Anna-Maih and Nidette sitting front row and not being able to
figure them out. We then connected on the word bruja and had some good laughs.
I remember putting random T-REX slides in my PowerPoints and thinking they were
so funny (which they were). I remember Tim leaving Spanish class after the
first day and transferring to German. I remember playing knock out with Oscar
and Imman at the first coffeehaus and Ms. Martin winning. I remember Sam and
Elin coming to volleyball the first day and then deciding to do musical. I
remember our first volleyball practice and Sophia serving a bullet across the
court. I remember our jumping picture with Joy and the JV team beating the V
team at the championship game and taking 2nd place. I remember Faith’s dad showing Basti,
Mark, Grumba, and Asil how to make curry for our Asia night event. I remember playing the game, “Are you
smarter than an Asian 5th Grader” and thinking it was somewhat
racist. But it is ICSV and somehow race jokes tend to be OK. I remember how
everyone told me that this class was a great class and observing you your
freshman year I knew that was true. Ms. Gerdes was a great leader and someone I
know you were all close to. To be honest I was nervous to take over your
sophomore year and be the leader. I didn’t know how we would connect or even
get along especially with all the changes your sophomore year brought. Even
though Sophomore year was difficult, we grew closer together and our
student/teacher relationship started to change. From Sophomore year until now
there have been so many sweet memories that I will always cherish. I will miss
you coming into my classroom to say hello or talk, I will miss you emailing me
to print something for you, I will miss editing your papers, I will miss having
Christmas parties where you all come an hour and a half late and I have to
entertain John Schneider. I will
miss the white elephant gifts of free google searches, cat’s play pen, one
glove, random CDs, and oranges. I will miss watching you guys perform in Chapel,
show choir, musicals, open mic nights and all the other random times you just
started singing. I will miss watching Hamza dance surprisingly well in the show
choir and Peter amazing us all with his guitar skills. I will miss watching
Fakhri’s raw talent on the stage and knowing that he found a passion here at
ICSV and secretly hoping he is able to pursue that. I will miss getting texts
from Faith that just say, “no”. I will miss the girls giving me fashion advice
even though I usually have GREAT fashion sense. I will miss Sam being my
incredible TA. Even though I didn’t want one this year I am glad you kept
asking me. Anna Maih, you seemed to know when I was having a bad day and would
always know how to make me feel better whether it was cleaning my whiteboard,
giving me random left over food, or just asking how my day was. Megan, I will
miss your baked goods at most of the events and your creativity in planning the
events. I will miss subbing for Mr. Martin’s 7th period Pre-Calculus
class and talking with Andrey about Russia, war, paint balling and all things
random. I will miss coming up with nicknames for Ellig and seeing her smiling
face walking down the halls and traveling together. Maika, you’re appealing and
a goof but we share the same personality, which has made for a lot of good
memories. Steffi, I am so glad you walked into my Spanish 1 class this year. Even though you'd never admit it, you care deeply for people, see the best in most, and fight for justice. You have a great work ethic and I can depend upon you. I will miss laughing
with you and knowing that despite the sadness of letting go, there has been a
unique bond formed that I didn’t expect to happen. And now, it is time to say goodbye to you. The way that I
deal with goodbyes tends to be all over the place. I can be distant, emotional,
encouraging and just sad. I have decided to tell each one of you what you have
meant to me or what I have learned from you. I know I have had different
experiences with all of you and some more than others, but you all have made an
impact on my life and I want you to remember that. I don’t want you to forget
your time here at ICSV and to know how much you are loved, valued, and cherished.
 |
| Senior Girls |
These next few months you are going to get a lot of advice
on “what’s next in your life”, “how to succeed”, “how not to worry about your
future”, “what to do in your future” etc. You will go through changes, moves,
meet new people, lose friends, face rejection, heartbreak, get accepted, maybe
fall in love, start living on your own and start making life decisions that
will greatly affect your future. In the next five years some of you will have
graduated university, moved countries, have jobs, maybe even getting married.
And some of you may still be in Vienna trying to figure life out. I could give
you all types of advice on these subjects about how to be careful with your
money, how to guard your heart, how to work really hard in university in order
to do well in life etc. But at the end of the day money burns, hearts move on,
and working hard can seem futile without a purpose. My advice to you is not
something new to your ears. It’s something you’ve all heard thousands of times
before. Some of you have really wrestled with this lesson and have either
decided to embrace it or leave it alone. This is not a subject that is going to
magically disappear when you leave ICSV. In fact, my prayer is that it will
stay on your hearts and never leave your side. My advice to you is to NOT
reject having a relationship with Jesus Christ. Everything we choose to do in
this life is all about Jesus. Once we choose to follow Jesus, our identity is
secure and we are set free. He is your protector and provider and he will not
give up on you. This is a prayer that I will not stop praying for this class. So
in closing, thank you senior class for being my family these past four years.
Thank you for loving me in difficult times, respecting me in the classroom and
when planning events, laughing with me or at me, crying with me, praying for
me, traveling with me, taking pictures with me, inviting me to your birthday
parties and just being there.
 |
| Class of 2015 |
Awe, I love this!! Is this what you read as the graduation speaker? Can't wait to hear more about EVERYTHING (: Miss and love you roomie!
ReplyDeleteYou're awesome love you tooo <33
ReplyDelete