Saturday, June 8, 2013

Why I NOW love teaching Middle School :)


When I was in college and fellow classmates or peers would ask what grade level I would like to teach, middle school was always at the bottom of the totem pole.  Why would I want to teach middle school?  They are awkward, smelly, little rascals who tell really lame jokes.  Teaching middle school students would be the last thing I would do on this earth... except for touching slugs or anything slimy.

When I accepted the job at ICSV two years ago, I was told that I would be teaching 4 different ELL classes to Middle School students and 1 Spanish High School class.  I wasn't particularly excited about teaching Middle School (to say the least) even though I acted like I was.  Nevertheless, God had called me here and I firmly believe that ALL He does is good, so this must be good...right?  On the first day of school I didn't know what to expect.  But then these kids walked in...

      

followed by them...




and soon my hardened heart softened and decided to make room for these mischievous, but adorable middle school students.  Plus, a very dear friend has the biggest heart for middle school students and her love for them was contagious.  She had started to rub off on me.  Check out her awesome blog here. 
                                          
Some of my Middle School Volleyball team


I soon learned that middle school students were not something to fear and be annoyed by, but just another chance to show love, grace, kindness and to learn some pretty cool jokes.  At our school, (and I assume at most schools), middle school is an awkward time where young teenagers are trying to find their place, learn about who they are and just wanting to be accepted.  They, too, need to be loved and cherished and listened to and I feel fortunate enough to be able to do just that.  In addition, I have learned much from these kids: there is beauty in innocence, never stop being amazed, it's OK to make mistakes and it's definitely OK to scream when I hear Taylor Swift or any boy bands on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment