Sunday, March 18, 2012

If Ms. Johnson went to Korea

One of my favorite things about teaching ELL are all the hilarious quotes and funny mixed up English phrases that I receive.  Lately, my students are learning too much English!  They are able to be sarcastic, funny and saying things I used to in High School (I don't know who's teaching them these things).  In addition, there are moments when I am just amazed by them and their understanding.  This past week two of my students had two great thoughts that I'd like to share with you!

Scene 1:  ELL Bible class

Me:  How can you explain to me that Jesus did not have a beginning nor does he have an end? 
Christian 6th grade student:  Well, I think that all depends on your understanding of the concept of infinity.  If you do not understand infinity you will never understand God.  
Buddhist 7th grade student:  But science teaches us there is a beginning and not a god
Christian 6th grade student:  Why are you living in closed box?  Don't you realize that there is more than just one box?  If you open the box you live in you'll see another box and yet another box etc.  God is outside those boxes and our minds.  


Scene 2: ELL Science class

6th grade Korean student:  Ms. Johnson.. if you went to Korea, people would think you're crazy!
Me:  I need to go to Korea.


Scene 3: ELL English Class

Me:  Ok kiddos, do you understand everything I say to you when I speak in English?
6th grade student: Yes
6th grade student: Yes, Ms. Johnson
7th grade student: Yes
6th grade student: Yes, except when you say you're pretty... he he he
Me:  I don't know if I should laugh or cry



My crazy kids (missing one)




No comments:

Post a Comment