1. Austrians love dogs! They take them everywhere. I've seen them in supermarkets, restaurants, train stations and even go into public bathrooms with their owners. It is quite funny.
2. Austria is a very orderly and ruled based country. If you do not follow their rules, they will let you know and somewhat discipline you. Usually it is the old women taking their newspapers and smacking you which I have not experienced yet.
3. Rules include: NEVER putting your feet on any type of seat, always standing on the right side when going up the escalator, never crossing the street unless the light is green, not walking in the bike path because they will run you over, and always bagging your groceries quickly at the grocery store
4. Stores are NEVER open on Sundays and Holidays
5. You will not find the toilet in the bathroom but in it's own room next to the bathroom
6. If you own a TV you will be taxed. It is very common for the TV tax people to randomly show up at your home and make sure you do not have a TV and stealing from the government
7. Both mayonnaise and mustard come in tubes
8. Only refrigerate Milk after you open it
9. Vienna is incredibly international and I probably hear about 10 languages on the Ubahn (Metra Station) everyday
10. Everything is incredibly clean and kept clean!
Here are some pics from my adventures thus far. I start teaching school a week from Tuesday and I am very excited to meet my new students!
Our first meal: Chicken Kabob
Center of the city!
Choosing their good side
Becca and I in the city center
The palace of Vienna where Hitler addressed the Austrians
Pretty Market
A Memorial to those affected in the Holocaust
Overlooking Vienna
Vienna with the Danube
Becca and I
God has a good sense of beauty
The Dahl family with the High School Principal, Nels
An authentic Austrian meal: Chicken Schnitzel, vegetables, and grape juice
Becca and I at a staff outing
Becca and I's first meal in our apartment!
If you want to check out Becca's blog, click here: http://beccasblog15.blogspot.com/
Love the pics, Jessie! Love you! Carrie
ReplyDeleteVienna looks beautiful! Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing! Love, Vernon/Margo
ReplyDelete