ICSV
If there is one word I could use to
describe the current state of our student mentality right now, it would be
senoritis. The highly acclaimed Urban Dictionary states that senoritis is a crippling disease that strikes high school
seniors/students. Symptoms include: laziness, an over-excessive wearing of
track pants, old athletic shirts, sweatpants, athletic shorts, and sweatshirts.
Also features a lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive
attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as graduation. This is
not uncommon once students are close to Spring Break and can see the light at
the end of the tunnel to the school year. To be honest, I would imagine most
teachers also suffer from this disease. Despite the mentality, a lot of amazing
things have been happening at ICSV that I would love to share with you.
Every
Thursday morning the High School students head to our multi-purpose room and
attend chapel. Chapel usually consists of school announcements, a few worship
songs, and then a message presented by either the High School chaplain or a
guest speaker. Our High School chaplain has been going through a series titled,
A Theory of Everything and using the bible as a basis for it. He has covered a
wide-range of topics that include creation, the trinity, relationships, and
sex. Needless to say, a lot of interesting conversations and questions have
arose from these messages. What's even more amazing is the impact it has been
having on our student body. You might not be able to see it on the surface
level, but God is working deep in the hearts of our students and leaving a mark
on a lot of students we wouldn't think would care. Also, we have had multiple
students approach our chaplain and ask if they can share their testimony or
what God has been teaching them in chapel. I went to a Christian High School
where most of the students were Christians and I can't even imagine doing that.
I have just been very impressed with the questions the students are asking, the
conversations that are being had, and to never be surprised by whom God chooses
to pursue. Thank you to those that have been praying for these students because
your prayers are being answered and God is pursuing these students.
Mission Trips
![]() |
| Kosovo Team |
Saying Goodbye
About 3 weeks ago I got a text from a former student saying that she was moving back to her home country in 2 weeks. She was a student I had taught, coached, mentored, traveled with, and spent many hours with planning various events at ICSV. Receiving this news was hard. A disadvantage to working at an international school is the high turn over rate of students and teachers. A lot of students come for 3-4 years and then return to their home countries for various reasons. The hardest part is you never know when you will see these people again. It is moments like these that I am SO thankful for the promise of eternity. The community that the Lord surrounds with is an eternal community and holding on to that promise is what makes these goodbyes a little bit easier. I have never thought about eternity as much as I have living here in Vienna. The promise of being in heaven with Jesus surrounded by a great community of believers and friends is enough to make me want to go there now. :)
Energy Break
Two weeks ago Becca and I got to spend our energy break (a week off of school in February) in the beautiful state of Tyrol. We were surrounded by massive mountains and fresh air. We skied, hiked, and enjoyed some quality roommate time.





No comments:
Post a Comment