It is quite ironic that we celebrated Valentine's Day on Friday the 13th; however, it seemed to suit the day. Today was our annual
King of Hearts Middle School Valentine's Day event. In trying to each the young middle school girls not to give their hearts away so easily, we created an event to try and make them aware of how easy it can be to give away your heart. My wonderful TA cut out about 50 pink heart necklaces and handed them out to all the middle school girls. The girls were not allowed to talk to any of the middle school boys for the entire day. If they did talk to any of the boys, they had to give them their heart. The boy with the most hearts at the end is titled
The King of Hearts. It is a cute, fun, and highly entertaining activity to watch. The 8th grade girls all decided to wear black in order to bond together through this difficult time of not talking to boys. The 7th grade girls put on headphones so they wouldn't be able to hear the boys and the sixth grade girls are still trying to figure out why it's such a big deal to give your heart away.
The boys took this competition very seriously. Some of their questions and thought processes were quite humorous and I decided to write them down and share. The mind and heart of a middle school student never ceases to surprise me.
1.
Ms. Johnson, I have it all planned out! I am going to say the girl's name over and over and over again until she talks to me.
2.
Stealing girls' hearts is really, really hard.
3.
I am going to trip a girl and then help her up! She'll have to talk to me then!
4.
Ms. Johnson, am I allowed to kiss a girl on the cheek? She'll definitely talk to me after that!
5.
If I make a girl laugh, do I get her heart?
6.
Can I rip the girls' headphones out of her ears? "No.... that would be violent!"
Ok... Ok...I could be romantic though and just sing to hear after I rip her headphones out?
7.
If a girl nods at me, does that mean I get her heart?
Coffeehaus
 |
| Newlywed Game |
Tonight was our annual Valentine's Day coffeehaus event. Coffeehaus events happen 5 times a year are themed, and a High School only event. The students are in charge of planning and setting up the event and usually most of the students and teachers come. It's a great time to spend with students, create memories, and allow relationships to be formed outside the classroom.
We decided to play a newlywed game with some of our teachers, have an open mic time, and listen to cheesy romance songs. It was a great time spent with many of the students, getting to know the stories of fellow teachers, and watching our talented students perform love medleys throughout the evening.
 |
| Can't stay still to Backstreet Boys |
No comments:
Post a Comment