Sunday, January 12, 2014

I'm not a Poet and DID know it.

Happy New Year 
Well it is now 2014,
I am still working with LOTS of teens
And probably will need much caffeine
because I don't want to turn into one of those teachers that are mean
Instead, I hope to be serene
And yes, I am a rhyming machine
And this is the worst poem of 2014

:)

Being a teacher, my "year" does not begin in January.  I find myself saying "New Year" more in August when the school year begins and celebrating its end in June.  July is just a freebie.  Even though the rest of the world is beginning a new chapter in their lives, I feel like I am only 1/2 way there.    This next 1/2 year has a lot of events to look forward to and many things to be praying for.   

Here are a few highlights of what's been happening in our school and in the classroom.

France
I am really excited to share that my roommate, Becca, and I will be partnering up with Wheaton Bible Church and going to France this Spring Break (April 11th - April 16th).  The past two years I have led mission trips to an organization called River of Life in Romania.  The trips to Romania mainly focused on service and were wonderful.  In France, we want to take students that are growing Christians and teach them about evangelism.  We will be training these students to share their testimony, talk to complete strangers about the gospel, and share the love of Jesus Christ.  So many students that attend Christian schools learn how to be Christians inside that school and never truly make their relationship with Christ their own.  Our vision is to train and disciple these students to be Ambassadors for Christ.  We want them to be equipped for the world when they leave ICSV.  


Some of the France team and I


The Responders
Every Monday morning I have been meeting with a group of High School girls.  We are currently studying the book Growing in Christ published by The Navigators.  This book goes through the assurance of faith and teaches students how to have a relationship with Christ.  We started these groups last October.  Not everyone in my group claims to be a Christian and I just ask for your continued prayer for these girls.  


ELL Class Moments and Quotes
1. I had my students right down some NY's resolutions and 5 out of 10 said they wanted to read the bible more!
2. "Ms. Johnson, the bible is really interesting and I like reading it." - Muslim student
3. "Ms. Johnson, do we turn into Angels in heaven?"
4. A 6th grade Korean student approached me asking if she could YouTube the cartoon Prince of Egypt so she could experience the power of God over and over again.  
5.  "Ms. Johnson, your hair looks different.  Did you not wash it again?" :)
6.  "Ms. Johnson, does God allow us to experience bad things so we can love Him more?"  




No comments:

Post a Comment