Wednesday, September 5, 2012

...For such a time as this

My second year of teaching in Vienna has begun!  I feel that I should tell you that I was THIS excited to begin my second year here at ICSV...



However, that was not the case.  When I first arrived here my attitude was poor, my thoughts were gloomy and I felt very out of sorts.  I was very homesick, distant from the Lord and missing previous co-workers and friends that were not returning this year.  In addition, the enemy capitalized on these selfish feelings creating a very somber person.  I hated feeling this way because I wanted to be excited about teaching and my ministry here in Vienna.  My first year was life-changing and I wanted the same for the second.  

Thankfully we serve an INCREDIBLE God who never lets us go and is always fighting our battles.  I soon felt the Holy Spirit tugging at my heart to spend time with Him.  I was grieving the Holy Spirit.  After much prayer, time spent with the Lord and incredible co-workers encouraging me, I was reminded of the greatness of God and his forgiveness.  The missionary life is not as grand as some may think.  It can be lonely, confusing and very often depressing.  Yet, the goodness and love of God always shines through.  He is mighty to save and continues to do so even in the darkest times.

Our director, James Devenish, created a theme for this school year titled "...For such a time as this" from the book of Esther.  It was an incredibly moving talk and encouraged us to make the most of the time we are given with everyone we encounter and to be brave like Esther in order to save souls!  For this time is HIS time and it is so brief.  

All to say I am extremely excited to be back in Vienna now and teaching third cultured kids once again.  Being away from family is always hard and depression will come and go, but God is good and has never stopped fighting for us!  


The Lord will fight for you and you need only to be still 
Exodus 14:14


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica! I appreciate your emotional honesty! I look forward to seeing you again. Let me know if you still want to get together or if you are involved with other things I understand! I am open so far and flexible. You are on my heart and i am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete