Thursday, July 12, 2012

What just happened?!

A year ago today I had just returned home from a training seminar in New York preparing me for my 2 year journey to Vienna, Austria.  I was experiencing every type of emotion, saying goodbye to too many friends and family, and trying to pack my entire life into 3 medium boxes and 2 suitcases. (Let's just say the post office was not to fond of me that month).  I had no idea what my upcoming journey would entail and how the Lord would change my life.  I am happy to say this past year was one of the greatest years of my life and one that has made quite an impact.

To sum up my time, I have decided to answer a few FAQs that I have received over the past month.

1. What's it like living in Austria?
To be quite honest, living in Vienna is not all that different from living in Chicago.  It is a very international city filled with all sorts of different nationalities and cultures.  There are many great restaurants, parks and ice cream shops :).  I live in a great apartment in the heart of the city with a fantastic roommate.  We live right above a grocery store and close to the city center.  My lack of German has led to some difficult/comical conversations with different people but I am learning to speak it.  Also, it is a beautiful city and I love getting lost in it.

2. What has been your greatest challenge?
I have had many challenges living in Vienna but my three greatest challenges have been not knowing German, being far from my family and learning how to biblical integrate into the classroom.  The latter was probably my most consistent challenge.  After teaching in a public school where biblical integration was less than encouraged, it was an adjustment to be allowed to talk about Jesus in the classroom.  I also wanted my lessons to naturally integrate the gospel and truth instead of segmenting them ie start and end the class with prayer.  My prayer was for them to see Jesus in every subject and how faithful and constant He is.

3. What are you teaching?
I am teaching High School Spanish and Middle School ELL Content (Science, Social Studies, English and Bible).  And yes, I have had to relearn many things I was taught in middle school!

4. What else are you involved in?
I will be coaching High School volleyball, being the sophomore homeroom teacher and leading mission trips to other parts of Europe.

5. What is your favorite thing about living in Vienna?  
My favorite thing about living in Vienna is teaching at the International Christian School of Vienna.  I absolutely love my job, the people I work with and the students in my classroom.  I have learned so much about culture, ministry, friendship and teaching in an international community.  I feel so blessed to be in the environment that I am in.  In addition, I love living in an European city.

6.  How many Kangaroos have you seen? 
While Austria does sound like Australia, there are no kangaroos living in Austria :).


I am very excited to go back for a second year.  I already miss a lot of my students and life in Vienna and am ready to see where the Lord leads/teaches me this year.  Thank you once again for all those who have been supporting me whether it is financially or prayerfully.  The Lord has been faithful and answered those prayers!

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to have you back over here! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so proud of you!! you are such an inspiration and i love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love that you added that last question about kangaroos--I received similarly odd questions from friends and family about Spain (i.e. "What's the Mexican food like?")

    This was my first time to stumble upon your blog, and I've enjoyed reading about your teaching adventures in Vienna. Will you be staying at the same school this upcoming school year?

    - Cassandra (www.geecassandra.com)

    ReplyDelete